[SOLVED] "Use field in a group" disables value separator in values checkbox field

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #56720 by geejay
Hi,

I have debugged the problem.

I have an existing checkbox field filled with values which I wanted to convert to a fieldgroup field - as described the value separator did not work. As you insisted that it does work I created a new checkbox field and .... indeed the value separators work in fieldgroup mode.

So I checked that both fields old and new are configured 100% identically - yes they are. From that I suspected that the problem is related to the checkbox values ticked. And really after changing the ticked values of an already filled checkbox field which had been changed to fieldgroup mode suddenly they showed the value separators!

Conclusion: It appears that value separators are stored in the items itself and they are stored differently when the field is a standalone field and when it is a fieldgroup field. That is not nice if one has already 100 items stored with data ... My suggestion is to store the value separator somehow differently so they are independent of the values.

BTW: I just had to discover that simple opening and saving of items even deletes the existing ticked values when the checkbox field was converted to fieldgroup mode.

BR

Geejay
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by geejay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #56728 by ggppdk
Hello

when not in field group fields: checkbox/checkboximage/selectmultiple
- is a an array of values
when it is in a field group it becomes
- an array of arrays

this is unlike fields e.g. text field that before being in a fieldgroup it is
- an array of values
and inside a field group is the same
also the radio,radioimage field too, when not in field group it is an array (of 1 value)

-- the original option was not to support
checkbox/checkboximage/selectmultiple
inside a fieldgroup
- we also had option to compress the checkbox values, that would make them non-filterable in category views
(like Joomla repeatable field)

we choose to support it, modifying the DB to add a
- subvalue_order column
already had the
- value_order column

even if you solve the forward problem not in grouped --> goes into group, you will still have same problem group-->not in group
- it is best not to change checkbox field in and inside fieldgroup
Code:
- is a an array of values when it is in a field group it becomes - an array of arrays

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by ggppdk.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #56737 by geejay
Hi,

thank you for your explanation. Luckily I made copies of fields before experimenting.

Is there some other way how I can create a field which groups other fields in custom html style of {{field1}}
{{field2}} for output in tables - or do I have to abuse a text field for such purposes ? I simply wanted to group several fields into one table column in the output.
www.flexicontent.org/documentation/faq/7...of-other-fields.html

Thanks a lot for your help!
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by geejay. Reason: clarification

More
8 years 8 months ago #56750 by ggppdk
Hello

if you mean custom layout in item form, we have added this in some fields,
e.g. file field, but not for field group

using (e.g. in file field)
value_NAME.php (item viewing)
field_NAME.php (item form)

more fields there will be support this in the future,
- you cannot have custom layout for field group field,

also note with custom layout in field group, you may break form validation, but it may be allowed in the future, now we do not have / do not support this

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline