All Modules In The Right Position Of My Site Disappeared

More
12 years 1 month ago #23172 by kenmcd
I do not see any modules on any pages.
And I see non-working SEF URLs (Contact Us for example).

It appears you may have a 3rd-party SEF component installed.
It is best to disable SEF components while building a website or when making major changes which rearrange menus and links.

Since you have removed a major component which used to be the home page and many other URLs it is likely your SEF component's URLs database is pointing to old internal links.
At a minimum you need to purge those URLs.

Better would be to purge and disable it while rearranging the website.

Check the menu assignments for all enabled modules.
(Edit each module and make sure that it is assigned to appear when particular menu items are activated. The easier would be to assign the module to appear always.)
If the assignments were made when a particular component did not exist the modules will not be assigned to those menu items.

This is a Joomla issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #23216 by fmgoodwin
kenmcd: Good news. I was able to fix the missing module problem while updating the template.

I very much appreciate your suggestions.

You're right that this was not a Flexi issue per se.

It occured when I removed the old front page component and changed to a Flexi category for the front page.

Yet, it seems like removal of the old component required updating of the template, or at least close attention to the details of the template install.

I still have a lot of work to do on the site.

Regards, Francis

More
12 years 1 week ago #24706 by fmgoodwin
kenmcd, I fully understand now the critical importance of keeping all website components fully up-to-date.

The technicians in charge of the site simply didn't do their job over the years. It would only be if something broke that a component would be updated.

I'm the site editor, but it wasn't until I rolled up my sleeves and waded into site maintenance and development (steep learning curve here) that I came to have a more full understanding of just how bad things were, and why.

As you may have noticed from my postings, I'm still grappling with configuration issues, and I still have a long way to go in developing the features that I would like to see.

But, now that I'm dealing with it instead of relying on others, I feel much less helpless in making the site great.

My attention to various SEO-related aspects, not to mention site functionality, has already led to a dramatic improvement in various search statistics and site traffic, with still lots of room for improvement in the future.

Thanks again for helping me grapple with things. I've been a big Flexi fan from the start. The various features being introduced make my imagination my only real limitation.

Regards, Francis Goodwin

More
Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline