How to use different template for mobile version

More
12 years 5 months ago #20338 by bobthebob01
Hi,

I have to create a mobile version for smartphone of a client website. I'm planing on using FC since it became my favorite CCK, and allow me to really customize the output while providing a super easy admin interface to my client.

But the mobile version will have obviously a different template and use certain feature specifically for iPhone etc.

Is there a way and/or how would one go about loading a different template for smart phone only. Since FC does not use template overrides, i can't see how to achieve that.

Could a FC plugin allow to assign different template such as having a suffix "_mobile" to a template name. So you for desktop version FC would use "blog" template and when the user agent is a smartphone it would use "blog_mobile"?

Or would it be better to use a "if" and "else" statement within a template file. So it would the template would have 2 parts with something like:
if user agent = iPhone
else

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #20341 by krapaic
mmm first thing that comes to mind is to create a sub template in the directory of your flexi template and once you detect smartphone UA you simply show that subtemplate instead of default/blog/custom.
Code:
//example: item.php defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die( 'Restricted access' ); // first define the template name $tmpl = $this->tmpl; // for backwards compatiblity if (YourWaytoDetectSmartPhone()) { $this->loadTemplate('mobile'); } else { ?> ...the original template <div id="flexicontent" class="flexicontent item<?php echo $this->item->id; ?> type<?php echo $this->item->type_id; ?>"> ...bla bla bla </div>
you create a file item_mobile.php (be sure to match loadTemplate parameter for filename) and there you implement your smartphone layout (you can also simply ignore position like ggppdk suggested )
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by krapaic.

More
12 years 5 months ago #20350 by bobthebob01
really??? that simple? LOL i really love FC and its community.

This is the kind of post that should be sticky or added to the documentation.

Thanks a lot.

More
12 years 5 months ago #20357 by micker
Impressive tips !

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
12 years 5 months ago #20359 by krapaic
Thanks to both of you, but first i need confirmation it works, it's just a hunch, i've never tested.

In order to detect SmartPhone, maybe it's enought to use JBrowser, i know from version 1.6 there's a method JBrowser::isMobile() but i don't know if it's done client side or server side.

More
12 years 5 months ago #20375 by ggppdk
To detect mobile browser maybe this will do the trick:
Code:
<?php $useragent = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']; $useragent = strtolower($useragent); if(strrpos($useragent,"iphone") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"symbianos") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"ipad") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"ipod") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"android") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"blackberry") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"samsung") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"nokia") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"windows ce") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"sonyericsson") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"webos") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"wap") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"motor") > 0 || strrpos($useragent,"symbian") > 0) echo "Go with Mobile Device!!!"; else echo "Go with normal browser!!!"; ?>

Read more: 4rapiddev.com/tips-and-tricks/de ... z1db9zLluZ

or google it

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline