Not saving item - ignores the description

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #62746 by jeffhoneyager
I have a somewhat long -description- I cut the text from a MSWord doc, then pasted (as plain text) into the description field using JCE.
When I <apply> <save & return> <save & Preview>
I get form is being submitted and then it returns to the edit screen and the pasted text is gone.
There are no error messages and nothing in the error log.

...thought it may be the joomla template, so I changed, it and tried 3 different Joomla themes with different theme engines - same result; the edits are ignored, and the <save & return> just returns. Also sometimes the <cancel> just returns to the editor - doesn't exit. ???

Then I tried creating a separate textarea field and the same result.
Then I tried using a different editor - copied the MSword document into "note pad" to strip off any html, then pasted from note pad into the editor...
JCE - doesn't save
Tiny MCE - doesn't save
RokPad - doesn't save

I was using FireFox, Tried Chrome - same issue!

Joomla! 3.5.1
php 5.5.17
mySQL 5.6.30
max_execution_time 90
max_input_time 60
memory_limit 64M
post_max_size 64M
upload_max_filesize 32M

I looked in the error log and there was nothing reported...

?? what / where should I look ??

Thanks for your time.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by jeffhoneyager.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62747 by Ninjakitten
You've covered a lot! I'm just another user, but I have a couple thoughts:

The one thing I don't see mentioned yet in your testing is entirely different pieces of text (not based off this particular one). If you tried those also, did they all have the same problem?

Is this happening for every article, or just one?

If you check the database itself, is there anything in the appropriate description field for this article?

Which version of FC are you using?

I've only run into a similar situation once, and that was before Joomla 3.5.1: one of my items had an emoji in it, and everything after that character disappeared when saved. 3.5.1 is supposed to be able to handle them, but it's possible that if your database collation/charset hasn't been updated to utf8mb4 and the first character in your description (visible or possibly even not) isn't supported by the collation/charset in use, you might get these results. You could probably rule that possibility out by typing a plain-text description directly into the box, checking the source to be sure there are no unexpected things hiding there, then saving it and seeing whether that one works.

Good luck!

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #62748 by jeffhoneyager
NijnaKitten,
Thanks for your thoughts.

The one thing I don't see mentioned yet in your testing is entirely different pieces of text (not based off this particular one). If you tried those also, did they all have the same problem?

I've tried other text and the problem seems "sporadic" sometimes it works, while other times it does not. My client will be taking MSword docs and <plain-test> pasting them into the field.

I'm using F.C. version: 3.0.14-rc2a

I pasted the text (from MSword) to (NotePad) then to (Notepad++) the only non-printable characters seem to be <tab> and it still didn't work.

if your database collation/charset hasn't been updated to utf8mb4 and the first character in your description (visible or possibly even not) isn't supported by the collation/charset in use, you might get these results.

This ones new - I don't know where to check for that. phpMyAdmin?

A big clarification - this only happens on the front end - adding the content on the back end works fine - but the clients need to do this on the front end.

Thanks again.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by jeffhoneyager.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62750 by Ninjakitten
phpMyAdmin is where I'd check that, yup.

The part about only happening on the front end is definitely important... If the same text can be saved fine from the back end, then I wouldn't think it'd be that sort of problem.

Unfortunately, I think that also puts it outside the area I might be able to be helpful with. Hopefully one of the moderators will be along soon to take a more expert look at the issue!

More
7 years 9 months ago #62751 by micker
maybe i think you have a time out connection or js error in front office
1 test with protostart template
2 check your appache log error after submitting
3 check with tinymce

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #62752 by jeffhoneyager
Installed the protostar template
Tested front end editing
- TinyMCE did not save
- JCE did not save
The error_log file had no entries

maybe i think you have a time out connection or js error in front office

I'm not sure how to check this, but there is a very short pause between the time I click Save (or apply) and the time it returns (with an empty textarea!

NOTE: In the menu manager for the main menu, I added a menu item to "Articles » Create Article" ... using a standard Joomla function. This does not work either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by jeffhoneyager. Reason: new test

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline