mod_flexicategories reports numbers of items without considering user access

More
7 years 10 months ago #62732 by Ninjakitten
I set mod_flexicategories to show the number of items in a category, and found it doesn't appear to be taking into account what the user has permissions to see. I want it to report the number of items in a category that the user has access to, rather than the absolute total -- if there are 450 items in a category, but 50 of them are visible only to superusers, I would like it only to report 400 when a standard user looks. Is there a good way to accomplish this?

I'd also quite like to be able to have it report only items of a certain type -- I've got a work-around for that part in my template for the module, but I'm sure it could be done more elegantly as a module preference option.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #62739 by germany_bw
Hello,

There is actually no option to show the items counter per each access level. And additional - this counter is not up to date!. This counter is apart of Flexicontent-cache. The cache time you could change in flexicontent config in second "TAB" named "usage / debug / performance" in field "cache duration" - standard: 3600s

If I understood your second point correctly, you can declare almost every field as a active filter with the option "Show matching items - per filter value". You can find this in each field options in last TAB (Filtering). These counters show its values for each access level. i.e. items from super users are not added for this counter for i.e. registered users.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #62741 by Ninjakitten
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I noticed there didn't seem to be an option -- that's why I ended up putting this in feature requests rather than troubleshooting. ;) I would like the numbers, but I'd prefer not to be announcing to everyone who pays the slightest bit of attention that there are a bunch of articles they don't get to see. I know about the caching, but that's not really part of my issue.

I'm not quite certain you did understand my second point correctly -- or else I am not quite understanding yours, which is equally possible! What I want is a way to have mod_flexicategories (specifically) count only items of a certain type. For example, I might have types of Quotes, News, and Advice, any of which might be in the categories of Cats, Dogs, or Ferrets, and want only items of type News to be counted in each of those categories. I know document type is one of the fields, but I don't see a way to filter on it within mod_flexicategories (while not, for example, filtering search that way). If I'm just missing it, please do let me know!
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Ninjakitten.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #62745 by germany_bw
Sry, I have overlooked that was a "feature request" instead a troubleshooting :oops:

I think I understand you now better.

You need two new features / options for mod_categories
  • only show items in counter, that user has permission
  • only show items for a special content type

My idea is not a solution, but perhaps an easier way to integrate your features by using mod_Content Lists Filtering instead mod_categories. At this time the core field "categories" as filter has not the same properties as the other fields. If this field / filter would have the same properties as the other fields, I think, you could show the items per categories in a list like mod_flexicategories only by items that user has permissions and additional filter by content filter you want.

update: for this case the option "add links" has to be activated in TAB "viewing" of the categories field
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by germany_bw.

More
7 years 10 months ago #62749 by Ninjakitten
Yes, exactly. :)

I'm not sure how I'd use flexifilter for this, since I only want the counts per category and not the actual items themselves, but that may be because I haven't played with that one much. I'd be perfectly happy to use either one as long as it got the results I wanted!

More
7 years 10 months ago #62759 by germany_bw
At this time it`s not completely possible in flexifilter.

At this time is possible in flexifilter
  • to show items in counter of categories field filter that user has permission

At this time is not possible in flexifilter
  • to show items in counter only for one content type. items were filtered by content type filter but not changed in counter of categories field filter

the categories field filter needs for that the same properties like the other field filters. Perhaps this will be changed in future.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline