Module [mod_flexicontent] image Processing method: none

More
11 years 11 months ago #26028 by igcorreia
Ever desicion have pros and cons this one I think it has more cons let me explain why you need the size or crop always:

1-if the user upload an image to big in size FC will change it to meet the field needs so it isn't to big, i am talking about megabites.

2-this forces the user to think about the images they put about to put, they cannot upload a thumnail for a slideshow or vice-versa.

3-there are 3 types of images, vertical, horizontal and square. again you cannot all of them for the same purpose.

this are some of the reasons a think that feature is not necessary.

but if you may explain your purpose i can understand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #26033 by ggppdk
It is really bad practice:

1. Resizing an image via CSS will make it have broken look depending on browser,

and if the user uploads multi-megabyte pictures.

2. You risk making your web pages very slow, particularly category view but also item view

3. You risk eating up your web space fast

IT IS BETTER to have multiple sizes per picture (with a logical upper limit for the "big" picture) instead of using CSS to stretch the image to different sizes for category / item / tags / favs / module / etc view

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
11 years 10 months ago #26036 by hede
Your points are all valid - if your site is open to a broad variaty of users. But there are other use cases too. In my case a photographer will upload his images. He knows exactly what he is doining. I simply cannot present him his images badly compressed by a php function.

Resizing images via css is common in responsive design. A very contemporary and elaborate practice ;)

Why is the FC risize function not working properly anyway? Is this a relict from older days?

FF on Win10, FLEXIcontent version 3.0.10 on Joomla 3.4

More
11 years 10 months ago #26043 by ggppdk
mmm, which resize function is not working? where?

image field?
flexicontent module?
blog layout for category view?

somewhere else?

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
11 years 10 months ago #26053 by hede
Im really embarrassed, I cant reproduce the situation I explained in an other thread:
www.flexicontent.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php...=4779&p=26039#p26012

As far as I remember that was produced eather by FIELD[image] or more likely by the flexicontent module.

Rigth now I use Field HTML as Image whitin the flexicontent module which allows to set the quality of thumbs to 100 in the FIELD[image].

FF on Win10, FLEXIcontent version 3.0.10 on Joomla 3.4

More
11 years 10 months ago #26061 by igcorreia
Let me say just on thing,
this is how I set up the images, maybe you can try this.

When you create an image field you have 3 sizes you can use as default Large, Medium or Small.

The Large image we use in the POP MODULE so th client when uploads an image to the server hey have to respect this size, let's say 960X500.

If you don't want to lose quality in the medium size you need to respect the ASPECT RATIO of the image. So you need to make some simple calculation so the image is not CROPPED or RESIZED WITH CROP, what we want is the image to be only RESIZED. So maintaining the aspect ratio a medium image could be 450x234. Make sure that in the Thumbnails Quality you set to 100%.

The same applies to the small. So the correct sized is 150x78.

This way the user only needs to put the origin image in the correct size and FC will make sure they are resized correctly. If you don't respect the aspect ratio is impossible to grantee a correct resized.

Makes sense? You agree?

ps: there is some lorem ipsum in this page:
weiss.jordymedia.de/force-captur ... nsors.html

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline