Filters as Query Strings [Solution USE get method]

More
12 years 6 months ago #19715 by igcorreia
Hello,

please consider add the filters to the URL as a query string.

By this the users can share in Facebook and etc filtered Category links.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #19717 by ggppdk
Yes the filtering form uses POST method , you suggest to use GET method (URL), mmm this way we could also benefit from the joomla full page caching for the non-logged users, see here:

www.flexicontent.org/forum/index ... =50#p19716

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 6 months ago #19718 by ggppdk
I edited same post to suggest a change to make form use url , try it just change 'post' to 'get'

If things seem OK , i might change this to all standard templates (their category items files, and maybe also to other files tooo)

Regards

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
12 years 6 months ago #19730 by igcorreia
That's exacly it.
Maybe a reset button would also be needed.

Consider also this filter be passed to the ITEM level.

something like:
www.algarve-property-rentals.co.uk/pt/de...t=0&pesql=0&pesqnp=0

This way with standard PHP we can REQUEST query strings :D

Or even consider in the ITEM TYPE options add a yes or no feature for "ADD FILTERS TO QUERY STRING" and in the category view "ADD FILTERS TO QUERY STRING"

ATENTION FILTERS , ONLY FILTERS DO NOT HAVE A RESET BUTTON - FC is missing this.

More
12 years 6 months ago #19744 by ggppdk
I am glad my suggestion works for you, i am just not sure about using the GET form submit method or not, as it will change the URLs the users see, i don't think this is bad though,

About SEF .. maybe we will need to add rel canonical to category views ...

More
12 years 6 months ago #19752 by igcorreia
The thing is that none of them USE GET or USE POST is satrdard, i think FC could give us the option to choose.

Some times it will work some time it just wont.

Let me give you a few examples, and you choose if you want to abdicate from this, because in my point of view the only way to do this it with query strings.

Example 1: RealEstate (one level filter)
Client asks - How many T2 do you have available?

Solution 1 - Go to Houses(category view) filter by T2 copy the URL and send it to the client - Simple with query strings. /houses?type=t2

Solution 2 - Go to Houses > T2 (Category view) - forces the creation of another category - /houses/T2

Example 2 - Jobs Listing (Two level filter)
Client asks - I am searching for a Job in Lisbon for engineering and Salary over 800€.

Solution 1 - Go to Jobs (category view) filter by Engineer - /jobs?subcategory=engineer&salary=over800 - again simple with query strings

Solution 2 - Go to Jobs > Engineer > over800 (category view)- Forces the creation of another category - jobs/engenier/over800

Example 3 - I want to advertise this 4Cars / Economyc / rental for 35€perDay

Solution 1 - Go to Cars (category view) - cars?type=economic&promotion=yes

Solution 2 - Go to Cars>Economics>promotion

I think both solution bring benefits to the table but it defers in the problem and in the solution.

I think GET should be Default because of the SEF but the option for QUERY STRINGS could be available at both levels, Category and Item.

What do you think.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline