Display information in a module depending on an article

More
9 years 2 months ago #51854 by Rooney
I have a category blog that lists company news describing interesting projects. In the past, I used the built-in Joomla loadmodule plugin to display contact details (image, phone number, email) of the responsible sales engineer at the end of every article. Because I have articles with information for every sales engineer anyway I had to maintain double contents in the modules loaded by loadmodule.

The new FlexiContent pro plugin allows to load articles and fields inside articles. So once the plugin was available I loaded, instead of a module, the sales engineer’s contact article at the end of the news article.

Because the news articles can be pretty long it would be better to show the contact details in a module position. The problem is that Joomla only allows to assign modules to menu items and not to articles (content items). So, if one clicks on readmore all modules that are assigned to the category blog menu item are visible but it is not possible to display a module only for the news article. There are certain components like Advanced Module Manager that add this functionality but as a golden rule for Joomla: use a minimum of additional components!

There is an easy way to display contents depending on an article in a module without adding a special menu item: using FlexiContent’s Universal Module together with fields.
  • Add a text field to an article. Inside this you have to put either loadmodule or FC pro code. The text field should not be put into a template position because otherwise it would be visible in the contents area.
    Example 1: {loadposition engineer1}, loads all modules that are assigned to module position „engineer1“. Just setup a custom html module with the information you want to display.
    Example 2: {flexi_ITEM:401 ilayout:contact-layout}: As described the new FC pro plugin allows to load articles inside articles. The plugin code from above loads the article with Item ID 401 with defined layout „contact-layout“.
  • Set up a category blog menu item and assign a FC Universal Module to it. The tab „Layout: Select Fields“ in the module allows to select fields to display. Scroll down to „Fields parameters“. Put the field name of the field you want to display into „Please select fields“ (e. g. field23). Of course the FC module has to setup in a way that nothing else is displayed.

That’s more or less it. Of course, all kind of information from any type of field that is related to an article can be displayed in a module position in this way.
I have attached images with some explanations.
Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #51857 by micker
great maybe you can add this tutorial part of site ?

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
9 years 2 months ago #51859 by Rooney
Would be happy to do this. Just have to clean up the text a little bit. How can I publish on the tutorial part of the page?
Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9

More
9 years 2 months ago #51876 by micker
connect you on front page
use user logo on top menu
use menu submition

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline