FLEXIcontent menu item

More
14 years 2 months ago #3214 by galleryrx
Replied by galleryrx on topic FLEXIcontent menu item
I have been working on the Top Menu I created. I deleted the first category - Top Menu - so it wouldn't appear in the navigation bar. Then I changed the default (gold star) to Home so I would go their first. Now I can't get to my website? What has happened?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #3217 by galleryrx
Hello,

I am concerned that I was not ready to do this. As you can see in www.pan-america.org , my central section will need completely new rebuilding. I am not sure how and where to change the com_content to com_flexicontent to work with the multiple items I once had in the center of the website.

Furthermore, I don't know how to connect my content to my new Top Menu. When I go to the Items section, I see all my articles, but they are tied to my old categories. When I click on the drop-menu at the top I see my old categories listed. When I go to Dashboard and click on New Categories to create a New Category, if I look at the drop down menu titles Copy all parameters from: Select category - once again, I see all my old categories.

How do I create fresh new categories and link them to my new Top Menu. And, more importantly, how do I connect my existing articles to my new categories???? Please help me - I think I am way over my head now and I've lost a website that I really enjoyed.

More
14 years 2 months ago #3222 by vlester
Replied by vlester on topic FLEXIcontent menu item
You must put back the star where she was at first (home of magazine menu). Never change it. If you put it somewhere else, your JA Module won't appear.
When I said to "create new menus", it was in the case you want to add new menu but yours already exist so you just have to modify their type. You don't have to create another main menu.
Is it your first site with Joomla ? If it is, it might be not very easy to begin with new application like Flexicontent. It's a lot of things to learn in the same time.
If you give me your login and password (in private mesage of course), I can have a look to your back-end.

More
14 years 2 months ago #3249 by galleryrx
Thanks. I put the star back. It is my first website. Basically, I now have the original menu - called magazine - and a new one I created. So what are the steps to convert the existing menu? How do I convert my existing sections and categories into Flexicontent categories?

More
14 years 2 months ago #3251 by vlester
Replied by vlester on topic FLEXIcontent menu item
Well I think you should read documentation about the different menu types. It's really the base you have to know before jump into flexicontent.

Select your menu ("photography" for example) and click on "change the type" (item -> to Flexicontent) [attachment=2:32a6muek]<!-- ia2 -->1.png<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment:32a6muek]

Then choose the type Flexicontent > category
[attachment=0:32a6muek]<!-- ia0 -->4.png<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:32a6muek]

Then you point this menu to the category "photography".
[attachment=1:32a6muek]<!-- ia1 -->2.png<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:32a6muek]

Then in the dashboard of Flexicontent, edit the category "photography", look for the paramaters on the right side and select "blog" for the template.

If you want to customize your template, select template in the dashboard. You can read documentation about that on this website.

Good luck for the following steps
Attachments:

More
14 years 2 months ago #3255 by galleryrx
Viester,
Thank you again! Amazing. Every bit of information clears it up for me. I did not know you could change type. In my menu, I changed "History of Awards" in the Home tab to a Flexi category, as you suggested. Now when I click on it I get an error message. I will try to figure this out.

Well this is what I ended up after my own attempt - hahaha.
Article Manager - 756 (this includes duplicates)
Front Page Articles - 9
Section - 12
Category - 131

And in the Flexicontent:
Category - 71
Item - 375

And, I now have the second menu - Top Menu - which I mistakingly created. I guess i need to get rid of a bunch of stuff and the menu. Do you recommend a first step? I believe the Magazine Menu is pointing to the Section and Categories - which are not Flexi yet.

Perhaps you should look at the back end?

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline