Can I do this with FC and if so how (roughly)

More
6 years 1 month ago #72475 by bpresent
Hi, I'm moving a 12 year old VM site ( www.minilps.net ) to new technology and am looking at FC as the replacement. VM does not provide me with the hierarchical structure I need. I've gone quite a long way with Flexicontent ( tarkus.rocks ) and I have created the structure BUT the relationships are many to many and, as such, there seems to be no native way to lead the user through the selection of the correct hierarchy.

What I want is:
a) User selects (or creates) an Artist (eg. ELP)
b) They then create one or more Albums (eg. Tarkus, Trilogy)
c) They than select one Album (eg. Tarkus)
d) They then create one or more Releases (eg. the original vinyl, the 1994 Japanese Mini LP, the standard jewel case)

With FC I can set it up so that I have the Artist and the Album on the Release (two separate "related items") but the user can happily select any Artist (eg. "AC/DC") with any album called (eg. "Pet Sounds").

Also, I have at least 22,000 releases and upwards of 5,000 Albums so having a drop down list with this many choices is not realistic.

Can I use FC to enforce a three (or more) level tree hierarchy without code / db hacks?

Many thanks, Sam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #72476 by micker
hello i didn't think ..... sorry
maybe you can create category in release ? link date
and in relation field you will have 2 level choice date and release...

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
6 years 1 month ago #72478 by ggppdk
Hello

the releases will be "items" ?

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
6 years 1 month ago #72479 by bpresent
Hi - thank you both for your replies.

Yes the releases (and the artists and the albums) will all be "items" ... but if there's a better way to do it I'd be happy to learn how.

Sam.

More
6 years 1 month ago #72483 by ggppdk
Hello

you can then create 2 relation fields

A relation field AA assigned to "Album" 'Item Type'
- in it you will select the related Artist
- then also create a reverse relation field and (select to reverse the above field AA) and assign it to "Artist" 'Item Type'

A relation field BB assigned to "Releases" 'Item Type'
- in it you will select the related Album
- then also create a reverse relation field and (select to reverse the above field BB) and assign it to "Album" 'Item Type'

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline