About "Items (Backend Tab): Display all" show only editable

More
10 years 3 months ago #43917 by sophen
Hello,

I am facing a new problem.

I created a group of user and set it to be able to create/edit only some categories. I would like users of this group to be able to see only the items they can edit.

I thought the option "Items (Backend Tab): Display all" was doing the job but it is set to unauthorized and users can still see all items (even if they can not edit them).

Am I missing something ?

My configuration: Joomla! 2.5.16 and Flexicontent 2.1.2 r1806 beta.

Thanks for your help.

-S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #43919 by ggppdk
Hello

-- this is very CPU/Server intensive,
imagine calculating the 'edit' privilege on a site with 20,000 or 100,000 items, it would be simply impossible

-- Joomla article manager does not do it, neither does any other CCK,

-- Initial versions of FLEXIcontent for J2.5+ had the above enabled, but at about 2,000-5,000 items the items manager timed-out,

-- now, we use ACCESS level calculation to decide which items to show to the backend user
and then for the item in the CURRENT page we calculate the edit privilege (J2.5/J3.2 article manager does the same)
thus FLEXIContent is very fast in large sites, in fact in very large sites it is faster than Joomla article manager

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
10 years 3 months ago #43924 by sophen
Ok it makes sense :) So if I understood right this option is not working anymore ?

Is there an other way to limit the view of items on backend? Because if I change the Access level to limit the access, items wont show up on frontend either.

Regards.

-S

More
10 years 3 months ago #43925 by ggppdk
Hello

but the description of this setting is wrong,
so thanks for bringing this up, we will update the description of "Display All items" permission to this:

-- Allow users in the group to list all Items (in items management), otherwise the user will only see the items that he/she can view (has ACCESS Level to view them in frontend).
-- Also this setting maybe used in other cases, like in quick access listins of FLEXIcontent Dashboard (revised, newly created, etc items). Users that do not have this privilege will be limit to view only the items that they own.

About limiting listing backend items, e.g. maybe we can add setting to limit to the items that they own

= users that do not have the "Display ALL" will be limited to view items based on:
a. Access level (they can view the item)
b. Items they own
c. other that does not create performance problem (a suggestion ?)

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
10 years 3 months ago #43938 by sophen
Hello !

Thanks for the precisions. I will do without it, not a big deal.

About solution to limit listing backend items, isn't it possible to see which categories are unauthorized and thus dont list item of the unauthorized categories ?
Just a thought, I am not an expert and do not know all the developpement/ performance problems related...

Regards,

-S

More
10 years 3 months ago #43975 by ggppdk
Hello

sophen wrote: Thanks for the precisions. I will do without it, not a big deal.

About solution to limit listing backend items, isn't it possible to see which categories are unauthorized and thus dont list item of the unauthorized categories ?
Just a thought, I am not an expert and do not know all the developement/ performance problems related...

we could, but it is not enough, even if you have edit on a category, individual items maybe denied, so checking only category access is not enough,

the opposite is also possible, a user does not have edit on a category, (but the EDIT deny is soft , soft means EDIT is neither set to allow nor deny), but he maybe able to edit individual items

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline