The Image field Thumbnails bloating the site!

More
10 years 7 months ago #39373 by boniaditya
The image field used to upload images. Is creating three versions of every image uploaded along with saving the originals in a "original" folder!
l_Image - The large version
m_Image - The medium version
s_Image - The smaller version
b_Image - I guess for the category view - thumbnail

This is making the site really bulky - the site is growing up really fast. I would like to know if there is a setting where we can force flexicontent not to create those thumbnails. Given that i don't use them.I take pains to reduce the file size of the image to less than 100KB but these three files actually make that attempt futile.
Could you include a version where i can fetch the image from a remote host - with a url - or multiple urls - (if the first url breaks the second is used - a feature request) like to take pictures from google + or flickr - that would make the site lite and save tons of bandwidth!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #39376 by ggppdk
Hello,

1. usually the original image file may take 10 times more space than all thumbnails put together ...
e.g. you could set the thumb size for unused thumbnails to something small

2. but individual parameters to allow not to creating some thumbnail size make sense

and you will be ok as long as you don't try to use them somewhere (e.g. universal content module)

also these should be easy to add

this will be added with default value being to create,
also it is possible to remove existing thumbnails while checking thumbnails exist/have correct size

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
10 years 7 months ago #39377 by boniaditya
Your assumption that the original image is ten times the size of all the thumbnails combined is not always right - For example
Original_Image - 30KB
b_Image - 1.4KB
l_Image - 32KB
m_Image - 24KB
s_Image - 5KB

that is around 50KB for an image of 30KB - I have uploaded a thumbnail!
If the image is in MB then what you say might hold true but i am trying to upload thumbnails and this is what is happening! and why can't i host the images in flick and give the link!

More
10 years 7 months ago #39378 by ggppdk
Hello

about the original image i said it is "usually", not "always", much larger than thumbnails,

-- also you can make you thumbnails take up very little space by setting in them to very small dimensions, you say that you do not use them

-- about hosting in other sites, surely we can examine this, just the amount of work done on image / gallery field last year is really a lot, so you cannot say that development on image/gallery field is not progressing on it, in fact it compares to individual extensions , while having the bonus of being closely integrated with the related content

and a particular feature maybe important for an individual site,

we always focus on features that we miss and features that we have available

what is priority for developers of FLEXIcontent is making a living(about FC we plan to sell support subscriptions and maybe other, (FC will remain free))

also priorities are:
- performance (we did a lot of work here)
- cleaning up interface (we did a lot of work here)
- cleaning up code and unifying it (we did a lot of work)
- j3.x support (mostly done)
- adding commonly used features

less commonly used can only be done with paid work, or they will wait for an unspecified time

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
10 years 7 months ago #39379 by boniaditya
I am looking for a work around. I think i understood your version-
You say that you can reduce the size by putting in very small values for the sizes - can i put 0 x 0 ?
OR 1px by 1px would also suffice!

P.S. Yes I agree, there are tons of other optimizations that are of greater priority than remote images and I think the effort you put in is in par with the best PHOTO GALLERY extensions on the JED phocoa gallery, zoom gallery, sig plus, Core Design Web Gallery, Admiror Gallery to name a few!

More
10 years 7 months ago #39380 by boniaditya
Thank you for the help
I did the following steps
First i deleted all the existing medium thumbnails
I tried 0px by 0px in the settings for medium- it just took a copy of the original image.
Then i deleted the medium thumbs again and repeated the experiment this time
I tried 1px by 1px in the settings
The medium thumbs were of very low size less than 700 Bytes all of them!

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.613 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline