Show all of the items in both main and sub category

More
14 years 3 months ago #2312 by duresna
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to show all of the items in both main and sub category in the "Menu Item Type" category.

But it wont incloude the sub-categories. It just shows a list of items that only exists in the main category.

BUT i can get this to work if i go to the back end and posting an new item. But that should not be necessary to do because i'm going to give other users to opportunity to upload new items.

Check these pictures out so you get get an better insight in the problem:
img69.imageshack.us/img69/7528/flexy.jpg
img503.imageshack.us/img503/8528/flex2.jpg  

So in conclusion: I cant setup so the main category shows a list of items from all of the sub-categories. So when i publish an new item it will go to both the sub-category and on the front page under the main category.

Sorry for my english but i hopped i made my self clear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2444 by vistamedia
Hi,
Yes it's clear ;-) Flexicontent category view is not designed to display items from multiple categories. But thanks to multi-mapping you can realize that quite easily.
You just have to affect the item to both child category and parent category.
Cheers,
Emmanuel.

FLEXIcontent lead developer.
www.vistamedia.fr web agency and custom development.
www.joomla.fr co-administrator.
Please no PM for support request, use the forum for that!!!

More
14 years 3 months ago #2501 by unleash.it
Hi, I'd just like to add my +1 vote for creating a couple of new views like this. Actually, I've already voted... but you might not have seen my post since you were away: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" flexicontent.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=480 ">viewtopic.php?f=30&t=480

I think the choice of views is actually the weakest area of Flexi at the moment. What the OP suggests is basically the equivalent of Joomla's "Section Blog". Without a view like this, it's really not possible to use Flexi as a multi-category blog. Here's a typical example of a Joomla Section blog w/all articles listed from all categories: www.jasongallagher.org/blog.html

I don't think multi-mapping is a good work around. For myself on my own site, it wouldn't bother me. But for clients (especially those who are tech challenged) or front end registered users, adding a second category every time they post is not only user un-friendly... but it will inevitably end up resulting in articles not being listed in the parent category.

Besides a "section blog" view like Joomla, another view that displays all items in all categories (up to a desired nesting level) but breaks down into their subcategories (and lists the subcategory names above them) would be awesome :D This second view is similar to the SectionEx extension (which I've tried to use but got stuck when I tried to fix it's urls) but with the ability to choose a desired nesting level.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2504 by mediana
+1 for a new view to display items in their sub-category distinctively like achevied by SectionEx.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2513 by bsky92
I really don't get your problem ....

Seriously, Emmanuel explained you, if you want to have all articles listed, not depending of the category, just have them both in the main category AND subcategory

I am pretty confident the view you are requesting can be achieved with the tools we already have

You may think I'm being rude, but Flexicontent is an awesome component in itself, it's a new one and was released after it was running smoothly, and you guys seem to just request for more and more and more ....
Sorry if I'm out of line, but what about trying to find ways around when you have a problem, or trying to come out with a solution of your own and share it?

More
14 years 3 months ago #2520 by unleash.it
I don't think you're rude, but it sounds like you just didn't understand when I said:

I don't think multi-mapping is a good work around. For myself on my own site, it wouldn't bother me. But for clients (especially those who are tech challenged) or front end registered users, adding a second category every time they post is not only user un-friendly... but it will inevitably end up resulting in articles not being listed in the parent category.

I don't mean to be rude either. Hopefully just making a suggestion isn't being rude. If I knew how to add the views myself, I would of course just do it... and offer it back to the community. In fact, even though my PHP skills are very minimal I have spent several hours already trying to figure out how to hack sectionex and some other extensions. BUT... I wasn't able to. I did in fact ask for some help with how flexicontent makes urls, which was part of my problem (but categories are a problem too).

I too think Flexicontent is awesome. I'm very grateful. But I've yet to find something that can't use improvement in some ways. Hopefully there's no need to take things personally.

Lastly, because it's not easy for me to contribute as a programmer, I'm trying to see if I can work out a deal with Emmanuel to sponsor some development for the project.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline