Featured Items View

More
14 years 4 months ago #2638 by kenmcd
Featured Items View was created by kenmcd
Hi Emmanuel,

In another thread a user brought up the issue of replicating the FrontpagePlus view.
See: Articles on the front page ?
The FrontpagePlus component is from Peter at NoNumber.
FrontpagePlus extends com_content by adding a frontpageplus view.

FrontpagePlus is very useful for intranets as it enables you to have multiple frontpages.
Each department can have its own front page.

This got me thinking about how to replicate this feature using FLEXIcontent.
The only thing I can think of right now is to add an additional "featured" category and link the items to this category, and then display that category view.
Not as user friendly as checking a "frontpage" box.

In Joomla 1.6 "frontpage" has been changed to "featured" and it now includes more that just articles.
Featured now includes other types of content.

I think I saw you mention that you do some work with intranets.
How do you deal with the departmental frontpage issue?

Would it be possible to add a Featured Field Element to FLEXIcontent, and also add a Featured View which would display these items which are marked as featured?

Many users do use the core Joomla frontpage so to make a complete changeover to FLEXIcontent would require replicating its functions.
This new FLEXIcontent view would replicate the Joomla core frontpage view as well as the FrontpagePlus view.

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #3026 by norky69
Replied by norky69 on topic Featured Items View
I would like to enthusiastically support the addition of this feature!

Creating a core Joomla frontpage-like or featured-items multi-category view is, IMHO, the one feature missing that would make FLEXIcontent the No.1 and MUST extension. (and the front-end editing but that's coming anyway)

I've been trying out FLEXIcontent (FC) for a new site and I LOVE IT but I am puzzled as what I should do with the site homepage:
1. If I use the built-in Joomla Frontpage blog view then it doesn't have the uniform FC styling and it produces long non-SEF URLs even with the native SEF turned on. It also creates duplicate URLs as these won't be the same as if I reach those items directly from FC.
2. If I create a 'homepage' category in FC and list items there as secondary cats then create a Homepage Category as the site homepage then it also creates duplicate URLs as the homepage items will have a different URL than the same item under its primary category.
Example:
On the homepage: home/item/46-hello
In the Economics cat: economics/item/46-hello
So essentially two duplicate items.

You can see it here: www.idealsforlife.net/

I've also tried K2 from JoomlaWorks and while I think FC is way better at content they do have this multi-category featured list view built-in in their Category View page display. Have you guys looked at how K2 handles this? Would it be possible to inherit it from them?

Thanks for this great product! Please let me know if anyone has a good idea for homepage multi-cat display.

All the best,
Norbert Szolnoky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline