SEO improvements for flexicontent

More
12 years 5 months ago #20984 by loicberder
Hello,

I have some suggestions for the SEO improvement of flexicontent. Don't know if it's hard to code and i am sorry not to be able to participate...
  • <H1> for category page = category title ; for item page = item title
  • meta description : for category page = category description ; for item page = 200 first letters of the item core description field
  • meta keywords : for category page = category name + parent category name if exist ; for items page = items title + category name + content of item tag field

Has someone have SEO experience and can validate or improve my suggestions ??

hope that can be done and will help all of us
Loïc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #21723 by iamrobert

<H1> for category page = category title ; for item page = item title

You can do this in the template - edit category_category.php of your template:

change h2 to h1 (line 23)
Code:
<?php if ($this->params->get('show_cat_title', 1)) : ?> <h2 class="flexicontent cat<?php echo $this->category->id; ?>"> <?php echo $this->escape($this->category->title); ?> </h2> <?php endif; ?>

item.php of your item template (line 59): change h2 to h1:
Code:
<!-- BOF item title --> <?php if ($this->params->get('show_title', 1)) : ?> <h2 class="contentheading<?php echo $this->escape($this->params->get('pageclass_sfx')); ?>"><span class='fc_item_title'> <?php if ( mb_strlen($this->item->title, 'utf-8') > $this->params->get('title_cut_text',200) ) : echo mb_substr ($this->item->title, 0, $this->params->get('title_cut_text',200), 'utf-8') . ' ...'; else : echo $this->item->title; endif; ?> </span></h2> <?php endif; ?> <!-- EOF item title -->

meta description : for category page = category description ; for item page = 200 first letters of the item core description field

The default Joomla doesn't let you set categories.
So - I would suggest you use this free plugin:

extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-ma.../seo-a-metadata/9830

It lets you set Metadata for each of your menu items including categories.

I don't really agree with automatic text - as the maximum characters for SEO in google is 150 - yahoo Chinese is 120. So - 200 would result in ....

Also, writing your own Metadescription is more powerful as you can target your branding message directly to consumers. If you want something like this - use ACESEF - which just writes a bunch of random gibberish for its words which is pointless IMHO.

meta keywords

Google doesn't use keywords in its search results.
googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009...ywords-meta-tag.html

So - I think meta keywords are not worth the time or effort.

I have used ACESEF with Flexicontent - but find it super difficult to implement and doesn't work the way I want it to.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline