This may sound silly - Articles on the front page ?

More
14 years 3 months ago #2590 by vivi
Background :

a)I am trying to rebuild a site for a "Strategic Think Tank" (SASFOR sasfor.com )using Flexicontent.

b)This is a content rich site before I started re building it had 15000+ content items. As such I believe that flexicontent is best suited for this project.

The Problems /Questions

1)How do I get the content on the front page . Old Joomla had a add to "Front Page" option on the editor interface. I use JCE.

2) How do i get content on the Front Page with the default text limit . For Example in the "Introtext max length" parameter I have set the limit to 1000 words.

Now this works wonderfully on that specific "category page"

But I can not seem to get the whole shooting match on to the Front page !

3) I can not seem to use Peters excellent component "FrontpagePlus Blog Layout" that lets you have multiple "Front Pages" . Or At least I can not find it in the Menu under Flexicontent .

So Naturally if I use the component "FrontpagePlus Blog Layout" then I can not get my Flexicontent items to show there either - any suggestions?

All the above may sound very silly and amateurish but then I am a Newbie.

So if you can help me please remember that I an totally new to this line of work . I do not understand words / terms like php or HTML etc ! As such any help given will be appreciated it is in Plain English and in little baby steps !

Thanx
vivi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2594 by bsky92
Hi

Baby step? Ok :D on the left top side of this board, you'll find a Search option, just run it before asking, to check if the question was already answered ....
I ran "frontpage" and got this post

For your other component, I'm sorry, no idea how it works ...

More
14 years 3 months ago #2619 by vivi

bsky92 wrote: Hi

Baby step? Ok :D on the left top side of this board, you'll find a Search option, just run it before asking, to check if the question was already answered ....
I ran "frontpage" and got this post

For your other component, I'm sorry, no idea how it works ...

Thank you for your very quick reply . The support on this forum is fantastic- That is ONE of the reasons I have so much faith in Flexicontent.

And yes thank you for the link . Silly of me I was searching using the following search parameters "front Page" & "Front Page Publishing ". Will broadening my search criteria next time . Sorry for Bothering you on that front.

Having said that I Must draw your attention to FrontpagePlus .

It is developed by Peter van Westen and we all already use one of his excellent plugins called "Add to Menu".

I request you to look into this extension as I believe it will be a definite "Positive " For Flexicontent.

A brief Description:
"With FrontpagePlus you can have a frontpage for specific sections and categories....
This means you can show only the frontpage items for a specific section/category. This opens up a lot of possibilities to use the frontpage option for not only your home page."

The Link: www.nonumber.nl/extensions/frontpageplus?tab=download

Cheers
vivi

More
14 years 3 months ago #2627 by bsky92
you are not bothering me, I just try to have people really searching around before asking, as the same exact questions come over again and again when someone begins to play with FC
Yes, I know, there will be some user manual pretty soon :) )

More
14 years 3 months ago #2637 by kenmcd
Hmmmmm . . . FrontpagePlus is very useful for intranets.
It enables you to have a separate frontpage for each department.

Both the original Joomla Frontpage and FrontpagePlus are simply different views of com_content.
I looked at FrontpagePlus and it would not be an easy conversion for FLEXIcontent.

@vivi - can you ask Peter at NoNumber about what it would take to convert FrontpagePlus and if he thinks it is even possible.
(the new NoNumber forum refuses to let me in or I would do it myself)

In J 1.6 "frontpage" has been replaced with "featured" and it now encompasses more than just articles.

This is what FLEXIcontent needs is a featured view.
I think the upcoming module will have some sort of featured filter, but I do not know for sure.
But this is not the same as a featured view.

I think Emmanuel does some work with intranets so I wonder how he has dealt with the departmental frontpage issue.

I am going to add a feature request for this so we can see what Emmanuel has to say about it.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2639 by kenmcd
Added a feature request here: Featured Items View

The only workaround I can think of for now is to create a "featured" category and link the articles/items to that category too.
Then display the featured category as the frontpage.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline